Monday 9 March 2009

Recent gaming sessions

Played a good crop of games recently, but time (or the lack of it) prevents me from writing a full review for everything so here is a condensed list:-

Through The Ages x2
Le Havre
Dominion x2
Age Of Steam

Age Of Steam is a new one to me; I played it for the first time last week & loved it - even though I did terribly & Huggy declared my score was 'embarrassing' & that his 'Auntie Mildred could have done better'! I really like the difficult decisions to make over how many shares to take each turn as taking to many could mean you'll pay out too much to the shareholders when calculating income & debt. Take too few & you may not have enough to do what you want each turn. Genius! AoS is also very competitive as each player wants to get his/her tracks into the best positions on the map - especially if there is a lack of a coloured city or cubes - as it may force other players using their tracks to deliver goods & thus bumping up their opponent's income.

Now I know why they say this is Martin Wallace's Magnus Opus!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

AoS is a great game, but very, very harsh! It makes Railroad Tycoon, another unforgiving game, appear quite forgiving by comparison!

One of our group has come across a common house rule (probably on BGG) whereby you don't issue shares at the start of the turn, but at any time when you need the money. (Exactly as you do in RT, effectively.) The argument is that this means you don't have to plan ahead so much and doesn't punish mistakes as cruelly as the proper rules. I'm not keen on the house rule - I think the planning ahead is a very crucial element.

A possibility that I've thought about, although we've yet to try it, is to make the VP penalty for share issues less; 2VP per share instead of 3VP. Hopefully this might make issuing shares less of a liability - but we'll see when we get round to trying it for real...