Friday 26 December 2008

Gaming with Huggy - Day 2 of 2

On Monday, I had the day off work & went to Huggy's place again for another day of gaming.

As seems to be customary between us, we warmed up with two games of Mr Jack - one as the killer & one as the Detective - both of us winning as the latter, while Mr Jack was coincidentally identified as John Smith (the guys who can switch on/off streetlights) both times.

We then progress onto Dominion again; 3 games using the other three suggested start-ups in the rulebook - Big Money, Interaction & Village Square. Huggy won the 1st (Village Square) convincingly with a Gold-heavy deck, followed by a draw on 25pts apiece with the Big Money set-up. Huggy went for a Gold-heavy deck again. Finally I levelled things by winning quickly on the Interaction set-up.

We then had another go of Le Havre; I went for an all-out building strategy & bought several buildings from the Town which I thought were going to useful to either of us; Huggy ended up paying me plenty of Francs and/or food for this while he pursued a ship-building strategy. End game got tense as he was able to build a couple of the Steel ships & paid off 3 loans before the final action. Final score was 206-186 in my favour, but closer than both of us had expected.

We then decided to try out Through The Ages:A Story Of Civilisation, a game I had wanted to try properly for some time & one I thought Huggy may like. This is a complex civilisation-building game which is entire card-driven & mapless as you attempt to guide your initial civilisation from Antiquity through to Age I, II & III; taking on Leaders, Wonders, Technologies & Military amongst other possibilities. We started off with the basic game (Antiquity & Age I) to learn the ropes - this was over fairly quick with a close win for me.

Huggy then wanted to try the Advanced game, which I was slightly hesitant to as I hadn't digested the rules properly yet, so this was more of a 'feel our way through' attempt. We certainly enjoyed it a lot more, although we didn't explore the military aspect much as we were still trying to work out the best way of improving our civilisations. Again, this resulted in another win for me (without having any kind of strategy!) but we both agreed it had great potential to become a favourite of ours & should play again soon.

Another great day - thanks Huggy!

2 comments:

HuggyBasher said...

Hi Matt,
I have just added TTA as a must have in the near future game following your comments on it. Sounds like a game I may be able to persuade Annie to play. Civilisation (Sid Meir's)is her favourite PC game of all time and one she still plays from time to time. And if it has scope for some serious Huggy bashing then so much the better.

Tonksey's Games said...

I have no idea who you are(!) Damen - but I'll hazard a guess... oh wait, I think I already said!

Yes, Through The Ages looks to be potentially a massive favourite for me & probably Huggy. We definitely need to play it at least once or twice again soon before we start to forget the rules though. It would be great if we could arrange a weeknight/weekend outside the Legion as I really doubt we'd have time for a complete 3-player game... we might do the basic game, but it's not as good as the Advanced or Full rules. Something to bear in mind & I can show you next time we meet.