Sunday 7 December 2008

Old McDonald had a farm, E-I-E-I-O... (Agricola session)

Last Thursday, 4 of of us settled down to play Agricola - me, David, Keith & Paul B - while a game of Ticket To Ride:Marklin was going on. David had played once, Keith & Paul were new to Agricola. I was especially looking forward to it as I hadn't played in 2 or 3 months.

After a rules explanation, the Occupation & Improvement cards were dealt. I looked at them & wasn't feeling to confident of my chances; no obvious synergy anywhere! Expecting wood to be a bit difficult to come by in the early game as I was last in the turn order & not ready to take the Starting Player token & play a Minor Improvement just yet, I played the best Occupation I thought I had; the Clay Deliveryman (receive one clay from Rounds 6 to 14), as I was intending to renovate to a Clay Hut as soon as the appropriate Round card came up in Stage 2 & then built the extra room(s) from there, rather than slug it out for the wood.

Keith was very quick in expanding his Wooden Hut & getting his 3rd family member in Round 7 - David beat me to this in Round 8 & I had to wait until Round 9 to get my 3rd. My farm was looking a bit empty towards the end of the game with two fields & two stables (both with a pig inside) & I was starting to feel somewhat adrift off the pace; David already had a Stone Hut (or was already in the process of doing so), Paul had 2 or 3 pastures with sheep & pigs, Keith was also making a bit of progress with a pasture or field here & there, but perhaps also looking a bit empty. All of us had one Major Improvement & various numbers of Occupations/Minor Improvements.

As is often the case in Agricola, things seemed to pick up very quickly in the late stages of the games; I suddenly had 5 fields (reaping grain & vegs left & right), 2 pastures filled with animals & a 3rd stable filling up my farm... Keith suddenly gained 5 family members, but had still had quite a lot of unused spaces... Paul had a 3rd massive pasture & a Stone Hut... David still had his Stone Hut & something of everything.

Final Scoring:-

(Fields/Pastures/Grain/Vegetables/Sheep/Pigs/Cattle/Unused spaces/Fenced stables/Clay hut rooms/Stone Hut rooms/Family members/ Points for cards/Bonus points)

David - 2/3/2/2/3/1/-1/-1/0/0/8/12/2/0 = 33
Keith - 2/2/1/1/1/-1/2/-5/1/4/0/15/6/0 = 29
Paul - 1/3/-1/2/2/2/2/-4/3/0/6/12/4/2 = 34
Matt - 4/2/3/4/2/2/-1/-1/2/4/0/15/2/0 = 37

2 comments:

Michel said...

How do you keep so many details, even if posting one or more days after the game? I don't see you writing anything down after the game. You must have quite a good memory hence. Mine is a Swiss cheese...

Tonksey's Games said...

The only thing I wrote down was the final scoring; as you've probably seen by now, Agricola has a lots of different categories which get scored at the end of the game & I've a scoring pad - so I can't claim to have a superior memory in that respect!

I do seem to remember relatively trivial things brilliantly, but more important things (such as a birthday or something that I should've done at work) have the odd tendancy to slip my mind! It tends to be a bit annoying at times...